Friday, October 28, 2011

Living Happily (1) - Preface

Preface

When I read Steven Covey's "7 Habits", it came to mind that much of what Covey says is already mentioned in Geetaa. But Indians, especially in America more read Covey than Geetaa. When I said so to Mr. Guru Parulkar, he asked back, "Is Geetaa presented as readable as Covey, rather is Geetaa presented for as direct adoption in one's life as 7 Habits ?" A fantastic and very pertinent point !

Guru's question has been bogging my mind ever since. If there is no such presentation of Geetaa available, can I attempt ? But to rewrite Geetaa in such manner, I had ask myself, "Do I know Geetaa adequately ?" That prompted me to study Geetaa, word by word, phrase by phrase, in as much detail as possible. To get critical view of my study, I started a blog http://study1geetaa2sanskrit.wordpress.com This blog and its precursor संस्कृताध्ययनम् at http://slabhyankar.wordpress.com set up a pattern for studying any Sanskrit verse. Learned readers of my blogs have been kind enough to give their lucid comments and it has also greatly widened my circle of acquaintances across the world.

From among the acquaintances, Mr. Ananth Sundara-Rajan of Norman, Oklahama urges upon me to read "How to live in the World and still be Happy" by Hugh Prather.

In early stages of my career, I was deputed to settle a big amount which was outstanding from a customer. I was worried how I shall handle this assignment. I had grabbed at that time Dale Carnegie's "How to stop worrying and start living".

Over the last 45 years and more, I keep coming across books by American authors discussing success, happiness, and all such matters of urges of human mind. Geetaa also is exactly about that and much more. Since in Geetaa there is certainly "and much more", it becomes all the more important that it be presented in that manner, good enough for as direct adoption in one's life, as possible.

I cannot wait for my study of Geetaa at http://study1geetaa2sanskrit.wordpress.com to be complete. There I am only at verse 40 of Chapter 2. So, I am venturing to start off along side, on this "Guidance in Geetaa for LIVING HAPPILY".

How good this will proceed and come forth is all to be left to His grace. That also will be an important chapter "Importance of God's grace" in LIVING HAPPILY !

यत्र योगेश्वरः कृष्णो यत्र पार्थो धनुर्धरः ।
तत्र श्रीर्विजयो भूतिर्ध्रुवा नीतिर्मतिर्मम ।।१८-७८।।
सर्वेभ्यः शुभमस्तु ।
Mumbai, 29th October 2011.
-o-O-o-

No comments: